Your Premiere Edition Bluejay electric bicycle uses powerful and reliable hydraulic disc brakes, which must be “bedded in” upon first use. Please see detailed instructions for doing this in the Help Center ("Bedding in the Brakes") or watch the below video:
Alternatively, brake bed-in instructions are found in Section 3.9 of the Owner's Manual.
The correct way to use the brakes is to gently squeeze both the right and left-hand levers simultaneously and bring the bike to a gradual stop. Grabbing the brake levers and squeezing tightly will cause sudden, unsafe stops and should generally be avoided. Using only the right- or left-hand brake will also cause unsafe stopping. NEVER use the front brake (the left-hand lever) by itself.
The disc brakes are one of the most critical components of safety while riding. Do not hesitate to take your bike to a qualified bicycle mechanic to have the brakes repaired if you find a problem.
Before each ride, ensure that your brakes are operating correctly by performing these checks:
- Ensure that neither the front or rear brake levers touch the handlebar when you fully squeeze the brake levers.
- Check the brake pads for wear
- Ensure that the brake pads are correctly positioned in relation to the brake rotors
- Ensure that the brake control cables are correctly adjusted and display no obvious wear.
- Ensure that the brake control levers are lubricated and tightly secured to the handlebars.
- Test the brakes while walking next to the bike
- Ensure that the motor cuts off when the brake levers are squeezed
If applying the brakes does not cut off the power to the motor, do not ride the bike. Instead, contact Bluejay Electric Bicycles immediately.
For further questions, please call (888) 654-9913 or email email@example.com.