Your Premiere Edition Bluejay is equipped with extremely powerful hydraulic disc brakes that should be “bedded in” upon the first use to maximize stopping power and minimize squeal.
Please watch this video for a tutorial on how to operate the hand brakes.
- Ride the bike in a safe area that has minimal traffic, smooth pavement, and a gradual hill
- Pedal down the hill to achieve a speed of approximately 10 mph (16 km/h)
- While sitting on the saddle with feet even at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions, apply both brakes evenly, without skidding
- Allow the bike to stop completely
- Release the brakes and pedal back up to the target speed
- Repeat the cycle of braking and accelerating to 10 mph at least 10 times. The brakes will become noticeably more effective
- Be careful to avoid skidding as the braking power increases
- After 10 repetitions, increase the maximum speed to approximately 15 mph (24 km/h)
- Repeat for 5 or 6 additional cycles
Be careful to select a safe riding location and pay attention to any possible hazards while performing these steps. Always pull the brake levers gradually and with equal force. Pulling unevenly or pulling one lever at a time can cause the bike to flip over or skid dangerously.
Article is closed for comments.